FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF HARROGATE
Saturday, December 16, 2017
Search this site.View the site map.
Please Pray for Our Troops and Missionaries Around the World.

 

  • Preliminary meetings were held in September and October 1946 prior to the organization of the church.

 

  •  Meeting at the Grace Nettleton home on November 10, 1946, 23 persons joined by letter from other churches to form the First Baptist Church of Harrogate.  One person joined by profession of faith.  Dr. Marvin Adams of the First Baptist Church of Middlesboro, KY was moderator of the meeting.

 

  • December 1946 saw the establishment of the Women's Missionary Society and the purchase of the land for the erection of the church building.

 

  • Dr. J.C. Dance came as a supply pastor in November 1946.  He was called as pastor in May 1947.

 

  • The first service in the church building was on January 25, 1948.  In February 1948, Sunday School teachers were elected.  Deacons were ordained in March 1948. 

 

  • The first wedding was that of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Dunn in 1948.

 

  • The church joined the Cumberland Gap Baptist Association in August 1947. 

 

  • In August 1958 the contract was let to build the parsonage, which was completed by January 1959.

 

  • Originally built as flat roofed, the gabled roof and steeple were added onto the church in 1964.

 

  • The parking lot was first paved in 1970.

 

  • The property where the fellowship hall sits was purchased in February 1976.

 

  • The church was incorporated in 1993.

 

  • The church debt was paid up in 1995.

 

  • The handicap ramp was added to the church in 2001.

 

  • Improvements in 2006 include a ramp and new stairs on the fellowship hall, a new flag pole and improved sign.
Information compiled by the 60th anniversary committee.